Wednesday 17 June 2009

Sarah Palin and the evolution of thought

Modification of Image:Huxley - Mans Place in N...Image via Wikipedia

You've probably heard about the David Letterman / Sarah Palin fued. Long story short, Palin produced this utterence in response to Letterman's apology for a joke made about her daughter:

"Of course it's accepted on behalf of all young women, like my daughters, who hope men who 'joke' about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls will soon evolve."

Here's my problem. It doesn't matter how often I read this statement, it just doesn't work; the word 'evolve' disrupts my attempts to take meaning every time. Perhaps knowing Palin has been labelled a creationist by many (read: dismisses the theory of evolution), the liitle voice in my head that reads for me simply won't accept her intended meaning. Context gets in the way again (quite apart from the fact it's poorly constructed).

No comments:

Post a Comment